- Identify key leaders who have shown an interest in wellness.
- Present the benefits of a wellness program to leadership. Making the Case
- Review existing wellness policies with leadership. OSHR policy or DPI policy
- Involve leadership in the development of program objectives and goals and encourage frequent participation in meetings and activities.
- Ask leadership to distribute a letter of support to employees. Sample letter of support
- Recruit employees from different areas of your worksite to be on your wellness committee. Committee toolkit
- Clearly communicate the time commitment term, and responsibilities of committee members.
- Meet with your wellness committee at least quarterly to create, update, or make progress towards your strategic plan.
- Develop and have leadership review and sign off on a wellness committee charter that includes a plan if the wellness leader leaves. Wellness committee charter
- Attend worksite wellness webinars and trainings by trusted sources
- Complete a worksite and environmental assessment to understand your worksite culture, current policies, strengths and weakness of your worksite. CDC Worksite Health ScoreCard
- Deliver an employee needs and interest survey.
- Gather information on the health status of your workforce.
- Identify what policies are supporting or hindering healthy habits of employees.
- Provide regular reports to leadership on program progress. Reporting template
- Use data to identify 2-3 health focus areas for your worksite wellness efforts.
- Identify resources to improve your health focus areas. WorkWellNC
- Create an annual wellness plan to address health focus areas and have it reviewed by multiple levels of leadership. Annual Wellness Plan template
- Talk with your leadership about what a successful program would look like at your site and create metrics to track success over time.
- Revise or implement new policies to support healthy habits. Sample policies
- Organize an activity to occur regularly, such as a weekly walking group.
- Host an onsite presentation to address a focus area—onsite presentation menu and policy.
- Hold a wellness campaign or challenge to promote healthy habits. Turnkey challenges
- Deliver an NC HealthSmart presentation on Plan benefits.
- Organize a team to participate in a local health event.
- Plan and host a health fair for employees to learn about their benefits and resources that support healthy habits.
- Review your wellness program and NC HealthSmart benefits at new hire meetings.
- Deliver a wellness update at an all-staff meeting.
- Distribute and post information on healthy living around your worksite.